Here at the office of Brittany McKinley-Holloway DDS, we want to do everything we can to help you improve you dental health. This includes helping you understand how best to care for your teeth at home. We will help you understand how best to brush, but brushing is not enough on its own to maintain good oral health. Flossing is also an integral part of your at-home care, but it can be inconvenient or uncomfortable for some. This is where the Waterpik® water flosser can help.
The Waterpik flosser uses a gentle stream of water to clean between the teeth and the gumline, removing the plaque that brushing alone cannot reach. Using the Waterpik for the first time can be intimidating, but it is as easy as following these steps:
- Fill the basin with warm water and place on the base.
- Select the tip that best fits your smile needs; if you are unsure which to use, just go with the original!
- If this is your first time using the flosser, aim the tip into the sink and run on the highest pressure setting until water comes out. Then turn off.
- Set the pressure setting to the lowest option, then lean over your sink and put the tip in your mouth.
- Turn on the unit, keeping your lips closed and allowing the water to flow out of your mouth into the sink.
- Beginning with the back teeth, clean around the base of each tooth and between teeth. Be sure to clean the inside and outside of every row!
- Turn the unit off when finished and use the eject button to remove the tip.
Follow these steps at least once a day, and you will find your oral health improving steadily! Just be sure to regularly clean the basin and replace the tips you use to prevent mineral deposits and other materials from building up in the appliance.
If you have any questions about using the Waterpik water flosser in Shelby Township, Michigan, please contact us at 586-685-0880! Our dentists and team will be happy to help you improve your at-home oral hygiene!